This week I made meatloaf.
It's Veggie Loaf.
And, it's still delicious.
A tricky take on a classic dinner.
1 cup dry lentils
1 small onion, diced (totally optional)
2 cloves minced garlic
Stalk of celery, chopped (totally optional, I didn't add it this time)
1 cup instant oatmeal or quick oats
2 cups cheese or more, whatever — American, Monterrey Jack, Cheddar or Swiss or a combo. I used Monterrey Jack.
1 egg, beaten
4 1/2 ounces spaghetti sauce or tomato sauce
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried parsley
dash of Italian seasoning if you got it
2 or 3 tablespoons BBQ sauce
& keep the bottle of BBQ sauce close ...
salt and pepper
Make lentils like you would rice, boil 2 cups of water. Add lentils and simmer, allowing water to cook out. When lentils are done, remove from heat and slightly mash.
Combine lentils, dry oatmeal, cheese, garlic, celery and onion. Make sure it is mixed well.
Blend in egg, tomato sauce, BBQ sauce, seasonings and salt and pepper.
Spoon into greased loaf pan.
Spread BBQ sauce on top.
Bake 45 minutes to an hour at 350.
Allow to cool about 10 minutes.
Cut edges with knife and serve, if you want to be fancy. Or enjoy!
This recipe served as my inspiration three veggie loafs ago. It's an evolving dish, I guess? Thanks is still in order.
April Fools Facts
What's so funny?
1. In Portugal, it is customary to throw flour at a friends face — and the holiday is not celebrated on April 1, but a different Lenten day.
2. In the UK, April Fool is shouted at a prank's recipient. It is a silly moniker.
3. In France, the holiday is called "Poisson d'Avril."
French kids tape paper fish to friends' backs and the prankster will yell, "Poisson d'Avril," or April Fish!
4. In the '50s, the BBC broadcast a fake story about Swiss farmers harvesting fresh spaghetti ... off the vine. The network was inundated with requests to purchase such trees and they had to make an announcement on April 2, explaining it was a prank.
5. Burger King once released a left-handed whopper as an April Fools prank.